Friday, May 1, 2009

Ecology as Worldview

Dr. Clayton voiced a concern (though I don't think that is quite the right word - perhaps 'an eager awareness and desire for all of us') in class on Wed. that he isn't sure if the ecological understandings we have been exploring these 14 weeks has yet gotten down to the level of a worldview. I have been thinking about what it means to have a worldview. Is it a way of looking at the world? I think so, but I am concerned that this translates for most people into a way of 'thinking' about the world (only). And I don't think that's true. I think of Thich Nhat Hanh saying, "My actions are my true belongings." Indeed. And perhaps they are our true worldviews. It seems that the ways to change a world view are multiple.
This whole semester I have worked to perform (to live) my life differently, step by step, aware of how alienated I am as a result of my upbringing on social and religious levels. Now what does it mean to make it a holistic world view? A way of looking at the world on all levels, not just intellectualizing, but inclusive of the mind and intellect as an absolutely essential part. To use a tai chi metaphor, I am just now beginning to realize how much tension i hold in my body in virtually everything i do. The question is, how do i live in such a way as to transform that way of being into a way more consistent with tai chi. I ask this now and will continue to ask it ecologically. What does it mean for my relationship to specific animals, trees, blades of grass, insects, fellow homo sapiens? What does it mean for my choices in food, clothing, housing, means of transportation, choice of living location, travel plans, visiting my family (cost of one long flight averages to 2.2 tons of carbon emissions per person!), etc.
What does it mean for my view of God, myself, the world, salvation/liberation, love...? How does this change my relationship to wealth/poverty, to women, to the underclass, the 2/3 world - everything.
More on this later, as my final project comes together. As a preview I will say that mindfulness is center stage. My actions are my true belongings. Breathing is my essential action, mindfulness of it is my essential practice. Soon I learn as I attend to my own breath that my boundaries blur, and I am not so separate from the world around me. In fact, as a world of living beings, we interbreathe. We pass our breath to the trees who pass theirs back to us. When I destroy trees I am damaging my breath, because there is no breath without interbreath. There is no breath on this world without trees, nor without their animal counterparts. We are one together - this must lead to other precepts of buddhism evolving to include this awarness of our eco-beingness. Right view, right action, etc. I can no longer drive a car without realizing that I suffocate myself, and in the suffering of trees and plants, the dirt on which they depend and by which they are sustained and nourished, in the suffering of the ozone and the polar ice caps (and therefore the polar bears and other ice dependent beings) I also suffer.
All this is challenged by the fact that I still eat animal food - but am more and more particular about how much and what kind. And I must say I still see something unique about humanity that I value quite deeply. One thinker says we are those beings in the universe who have evolved the ability to be self aware in a unique way. We are the universe becoming conscious of itself, observing itself. I still swat mosquitos. And I go back to mindfulness. I can't just think this, but must also think it. Breathe. Think. Breathe. Think. Practice. Live. Do. Be.

1 comment: